When students leave school, they will begin their transition beyond school life, which may include study, travel, employment or any combination of those.
Whether a Calrossy School graduate decides to study, travel or seek employment, they will be competing against others for opportunities to undertake any of the previously mentioned options. Students can choose to participate in activities and experiences while at Calrossy which will give them skills and attributes that help improve their prospects when seeking study, travel and/or work.
Some examples of these activities or experiences include:
- Be involved in activities offered at Calrossy
- Play a sport
- Join a local volunteer group
- Become a part of a performance or creative arts group Hot Tip: if you are interested in a career in creative industries after school, start building your personal experiences up (known as a personal portfolio) while at school. For example: join the Tamworth Musical Society and be very active in productions, if you have an interest in acting or production, sound and recording or you may join a band or play an instrument and play gigs if you are interested in a career in music
- Choose subjects that relate to your after school training & career pathway of interest
- Consider a VET (Vocational Education & Training) Course as part of year 11 and 12, a great way of gaining workplace skills and technical knowledge, for more information, please VISIT HERE
- Commence a School Based Apprenticeship or Traineeship (SBAT), this pathway will help set you up in loads of training & career pathways, to search for any school based apprenticeship or traineeship, please CLICK HERE
- Take a life changing adventure through an overseas international student exchange program, such as those you can find by scrolling further down this page
- Work Experience while in Year 10 (please refer to the Work Experience Tab)
- Get involved in programs that involve an industry and school partnership, like the Google Code Jam Kickstart Program, learn more Google Program HERE
HOT TIP !!
It is a great idea to start searching for scholarships, cadetships and bursaries that will interest you, while in years 11 and 12. In year 11, look at the types of scholarships you may be interested in applying for when in your final year 12, make a note of the name of the scholarship, application & closing dates and the criteria, so that when you are in year 12, you will have intimate knowledge.
In year 12, think about applying for a different scholarship in each of your study periods, there’s no limit to how many you can apply for, so apply for as many as you can.
Professional Cadetships Australia partner with some of Australia’s largest organisations to offer Business and Engineering & Technology Cadetships to year 12 students looking to combine university with paid work at a leading company. Click HERE to find out more
Year 12 Law interested students, apply for the Everingham & Solomons, ‘Sir Adrian Solomons Law Bursary, 4 Calrossy Students have successfully applied since this bursary commenced in 1998. If you would like to be our next successful Calrossy student to enjoy the benefits of this program, please see Mr Impey.
High School overseas study programs
Young Endeavour Youth Scheme is an 11-Day voyage for young Australians aged between 16 – 23 for those who wish for an exciting experience and a unique opportunity to develop skills for life. CLICK HERE to find out more and apply.
Rotary Youth Exchange
Rotary Youth Exchange Australia provides an opportunity of a lifetime for Australian high school students to live & study abroad. Click Rotary Youth Exchange to find out more. See Mr Impey for local Rotary Club contacts and connections.
YFU Youth For Understanding or YFU Australia offer accredited student exchange opportunities. YFU Home Page
EF offer programs for High Schools Students as well as University and Adults & Professionals, more details found through: EF The World Leader in International Education
Rustic offer programs for High School Students from Years 9 to 12 as well as University Students, more details found through: Rustic Pathways
Student Exchange Australia New Zealand Student Exchange AUST NZ Homepage
AFS Intercultural Programs Australia AFS Homepage